Friday 9 February 2007

Smoking.

As a non smoker this subject is important. And with the smoking ban looming smoking is increasingly filling the news.

The reasons for smoking covered in the discussion made little sense. The major factor according to the power point was because it makes you look cool. Largely due to film and televisions influence. Apparently Bruce Willis smoking in Die Hard is enough to make someone ignore decades of conclusive evidence that smoking directly causes a multitude of Deadly diseases. I agree here, that smoking can look cool, as Tom Waits to the right emphasises. However, I'm sure the quantity of uncool smokers out weighs the people who can pull it off.

I believe that a much larger contributing factor to smoking is for a parent to smoke. My parents do not smoke, or at least have never smoked since I was born. Though there are Smokers out there who have non smoking parents.

Largely though, I don't care if people smoke or not, Its their decision. I believe that the smoking ban is an excellent idea, Pubs will be much more enjoyable without clouds of harmful smoke. And hopefully as the smokers are exiled to stand outside to smoke, it will be easier to get seats on busy nights in Town.

No comments: